Thursday, May 30, 2013

Enjoy The Ride~




There is nothing like a nice ride in the summer time. Roll the windows down, take in the nice cool air, and just Enjoy the Ride.


This brings me to this scripture: "And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 15 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” 16 And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them.”~ Mark 10:13-16


Every year since 2008, I have made it a point to vacation in the mountains of Boone, North Carolina. The trip, of course, includes my wife, my parents, and my son who is 6 years old, by the way. My parents drive separately, but when we get settled in the first day and until we all leave, I do all the sight-seeing driving.


I enjoy driving everyone in my minivan and letting each one talk and point at various breath- taking scenes spread out among the Appalachian Mountains. My riders are laughing and talking about places to eat, various trips they have taken throughout life, and my dad, “Paw Paw” as my son calls him, is constantly goofing off with my son causing him to laugh hysterically.


During the vehicle exploration, I hear, “Michael, look at that old mountain house,”Daddy, I’m hungry; I want a cheeseburger, " or "Can we eat there”; ”look at those old trees,” ”look at that water coming out of that mountain.” The unfortunate thing about being the tour guide driver is the fact that mountain roads are very curvy, going uphill, through valleys, lots of morning fog, drizzle and did I mention curvy?


One has to be focused and know where the roads will lead. My son sits back there being comfortable and enjoying the ride with not a care in the world. He asks me where we are going and I tell him. My son knows when the van has stopped, and I inform everyone that we have arrived. Naturally, he is excited to be there.


Honestly, I think that is how we all should be as Believers. We are on this ride called Life. It is not permanent, but it can last a while. Just as a child, we may not know where the roads will take us, but we can trust that the Driver [God] will always let us arrive safely to HIS destination of choice for us [ his children]


Jesus said in the Book of John chapter 14 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you and if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

 Are we excited about where Jesus is taking us? The roads are curvy, but Jesus has assured us that He has a place just for us. Jesus has created a new Heavenly home just for us, and it is personalized, fashioned just for each of us. Are we excited where Jesus is taking us? We should, because The Bible says we are sealed in Ephesians 1:13 by The Holy Spirit.

 That is just like my son when he is all buckled up in his car seat ready to go. He is assured where he is going because he trusts me. It is easy to have our lives filled with distractions similar to all the sights along the way to the mountains, but we must stay focused just like a child on a trip. We should be excited about where God is taking us and let Jesus worry about the curvy roads that go up hill. King David says it best, “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me.”


That statement is enough for me to sit back and Enjoy the Ride.


Written by Mike McDonald


May 28, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment