Thursday, September 22, 2016

Back to Bloggin': Be the Change for a Better America

In light of all the controversy surrounding Colin Kaepernick's decision to take a knee for the National Anthem, it seems things have spiraled quickly into discussions of  how loyal or patriotic one can be if he or she has a different view of what symbols of patriotism in this country represent.  Whatever one's feelings are; we have to continue to understand that they are feelings and valid for each individual.  History is complex.  The eras before us held a lot of pain, suffering, and disregard for Black Americans.  No one can deny that.  It is almost inconceivable to even ask those who live in 2016 to forget it especially when we live in a society that prompts us to NEVER FORGET the atrocities of other groups.  Let's be fair;  we all can say that history has not been kind to Black Americans.  To deny that is a valid enforcement of what Kap and others who are using Free Speech to show their disapproval of the status quo. Thus we are at this point where people are pointing fingers and even categorizing who can be a "real" American.  We are ALL Americans.  This country belongs to each and every one who lives here and calls it HOME. 


For those who know me, especially my students present or past, you know I have always been an avid researcher of history. I spent the better part of my life in library archives reading primary sources of history ( viewing pictures, reading letters, official documents, etc) trying to understand the behaviors, reasons, and complexities of eras. With that said, I have never DREAMED that some of the things I read would actually be happening again in my lifetime and in my proximity.
It is both frightening and enlightening to know that people are still experiencing the same feelings and pain that existed 50-100 years ago.


I DO NOT AGREE NOR CONDONE VIOLENCE IN ANY FORM BY ANYONE. I don't care who you are. If you are wrong; you are wrong. Ask my kids... I tell them that all the time. Be bigger than that.  Those persons who choose the route of violence ( rioting, looting, hurting others) obviously really have no clue of the struggle and steps to progress for humanity. Many are just acting out in order to have an excuse to act out. #yeahISaidIt


The true measure of a man or woman comes with his or her ability to separate one's self from things that you know are wrong. Basic common sense, morality, and ethical decisions combined with the "Golden Rule" could save a lot of people from being stereotyped and categorized.


My wish is for everyone is to BE THE CHANGE to make the difference in our society. Examine yourself. I do daily. If you are pointing fingers and making collective statements ( as we all do) fix it. Have empathy and understanding even in times that you may not even agree. Everyone knows his/her pain from past or present experience.


Finally Show LOVE... I have said it before, and I will say it again: God gave us the cure all: The Greatest of these is LOVE. Apply that. It really works. Be blessed; be safe; and make better choices for you and your family so that we can all make it through life happy and whole. #DrWW  #DrSunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment