Tuesday, April 17, 2012

“Put down that remote control and DON’T change the channel”

 One of my fondest memories was the day that I began to enjoy watching old Western movies on television with my Dad. He was an avid cowboys, shoot ‘em up, and Western movie fan back in the 1970’s.  Before I actually enjoyed watching them, I would sit with him on the couch on a Saturday afternoon and when a commercial would come on; I would run to the television and turn the channel to catch some glimpses of what I wanted to watch.  Of course, as you can see, this was days much prior to the invention of remote controls.  J   One day, my Dad told me, “Wanda, why not just leave it on the channel and watch the entire movie to see how it turns out in the end.  You may just enjoy it.”  Well, I took my Dad’s advice that day and watched an entire episode of Bonanza.  I was hooked!  I enjoyed every moment and from that day on, I couldn’t wait to watch any Western movie that came on television. 
Many times in life, we are quick to want to change or redirect something that we may not like or not have any interest. Maybe it is something that is not enjoyable, profitable, rewarding, engaging, or even just going the way we prefer, so our natural instinct is to CHANGE IT.  Sometimes our need to change something quickly may be contrary to what God is trying to do in our lives at that particular time.  I read in a Daily Devotion this week the following statement:  "Trust the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding’ (Prov 3:5). This statement means letting go of our own floundering attempts to manipulate people, circumstances, situations, or timing to fit what we may want at that particular time.  Truly trusting GOD is returning the reins to HIM who is the One who knows the way." 
After reading this statement and the devotion with it, I realized that I, too, was guilty of “changing the channel” in my own life many times.  It could have been with a professional career, a particular job, a relationship, or even simple daily decisions.  We never know what our future holds, so trusting GOD at all times gives us the assurance that it will be  ALL good and for HIS glory.  Sure, changing things to make us happy and feel good is so easy. We can remove ourselves and maneuver situations to fit almost any need now. What if’s? Could’ve’s, and Should’ve’s will always plague our lives as long as we have that remote control in OUR own hands. 
So now, when I see a Western movie come on television, I don’t jump to turn the channel, nor do I grab the remote (which has made it so much easier).  I sit back and enjoy the movie as I did that day with my Dad.  I trusted my earthly Father(my Dad)  to guide me to a type of show that I now love to watch, so it is my desire now to trust my Heavenly Father to guide me in life.  So put down that remote control and don’t change the channel too soon.  You may just miss something wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment